Monday, April 2, 2018

Far and Wide (A Nontraditional Easter Sermon)

Read: Acts 10:34-43


I often think about my past and how I would have done things different if I only knew then what I know now. Do you ever think that? When that phrase comes to mind I particularly think about high school (and maybe 4-5 years after high school). But, I particularly think about high school and how difficult it was to fit in with certain crowds. My high school, and I think this is pretty consistent with most high schools, was full of different cliques or various social groups. I remember groups such as the jocks, nerds, freaks, preps, band geeks, skaters, and that’s just to name a few. I feel certain there are many new groups that have emerged over the past 20 years. 

Your group was your people. It kind of defined you and it made an existential statement while you were in school. Ironically, when you graduate none of it means anything anymore. A lot of people have to figure out who they really are after high school.

If I knew then what I know now I would not have been part of any group. I wish I had befriended all of them. Yes, If I could go back and do anything different I would intentionally befriend people in every group or clique. Or, at least I would try. I am sure some would have rejected me. I am sure there would be some to think I was just a poser. Some people would likely call me names for being part of the less popular groups. Some people would probably try to convince me that those freaks are nothing but trouble. Or, those jocks are nothing but bullies. Or, don’t hang out with the nerds; they never do anything fun. 

When I think about these groups today it reminds me that inclusivity is a struggle. I am sure that trying to befriend every group would have been really hard because of all of the conflict it might cause. But, sometimes creating new friendships, unity, and inclusivity is worth any bit of conflict it might cause.

The disciple, Peter suffered for trying to include and unite groups of people. He made an attempt to show communities how far and wide God’s grace was. He wanted to include certain groups into the saving grace of the cross and that created some conflict. 

There was never a sound relationship between the Jews and the Romans. The people of Israel were under Roman occupation during the first century. The relationship between to the two factions was sour to say the least. Then, this new group manifested that created even more conflict. This new faction was a product of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus and their relationship with the Romans was even lesser than that of the non-Christian Jews. They witnessed these other groups partake in Jesus’ death. So, it is safe to say there are separations in Israel’s central communities during this time.

Peter, being one of the twelve followers of Jesus felt that his purpose was to evangelize. He wanted to share the mission of Christ and he wanted people to come to know Jesus the Messiah. He had a purpose and it was to present the saving grace of the cross to all who wanted it. But even Peter didn’t know how big this saving grace was. Though he wanted to share this good news, his target audience was primarily the Jewish community. That is, until he met Cornelius. 

Cornelius was a Roman soldier, a centurion, which means he had command of a group of one hundred Roman soldiers. So, it's safe to assume that he was of importance. By Jewish standards Cornelius was a gentile--disliked, unclean... He was likely a person to avoid. But, he was a believer in God, the same God the Jews worshiped. However, to the Christian Jews and the non-Christian Jews he was just another gentile. To associate with gentiles was considered a violation of the Law. It was considered unclean for the Jews to share with gentiles in any way. 

Then there is the fact that the first factions of Christian Jews were kind of exclusive. They had to be to avoid persecution. Many of the original Christ followers were wanted for arrest or interrogation.   

Peter knew the implications of associating with a gentile. He knew the potential outcome of mingling with the wrong crowd. But he did it anyway. He did it because God led him to it. One day while Peter was on top of a roof praying and meditating he became hungry and had a vision. (I can level with him on this; when I get real hungry I start seeing stuff too.) In the vision he was offered a variety of food consider unclean by the Jewish faith. (It probably involved bacon because bacon was considered unclean by Jewish dietary laws and what do you think about when you get really hungry? Yep). A voice told him to eat the food. Peter denied it because it was not of his nature to partake in anything impure or unclean. The voice replied, “Never consider unclean what God has made pure.” After the vision Peter was a little confused of its meaning. Suddenly, two men summoned him. The Roman soldier, Cornelius, sent these two men to find Peter and bring him to his house. Peter went with them and upon arriving at the house he met Cornelius and a large group of people that gathered to meet Peter as well. As it would seem, God spoke to Cornelius, this “gentile”, and told him where Peter was so that Peter could meet he and the group to testify about Jesus the Christ.

Peter said to the group of people, “Look, you know I shouldn’t be here. But, I think God has led me here for a purpose. God has shown me that I should never call a person impure or unclean. That is why I am here. Now tell me; how did you find me?” Cornelius told Peter that God told him where he was staying and to bring him to Cornelius and these people. He said, “I sent for you and you were kind enough to come. Now, here we are, in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has directed you to say.”

Do you know what is weird about this story? Everything. There is no cultural explanation for this event. The Christian Jews did not associate with the Romans or the non-Christian Jews. The Romans, or gentiles didn’t associate with the Jews or especially the Christian Jews. But, God miraculously brought these people together. But wait, there is something else that we need not forget to notice. Cornelius was a relatively wealthy person and it is likely that all of the people he had gathered were his family and friends. So, they were probably well-to-be citizens too. Let’s be mindful that wealthy folks and poor folks didn’t associate either. Most of the wealthy folks thought that the poor folks were cursed for some reason. They were certain that there lives were chaotic because God or, in the polytheistic belief, gods had shamed them. And Peter, he was a just poor Galilean fisherman that had his world turned upside down and was currently avoiding as much of the law as he could. And, here he stands in front of a Roman officer. Then, here comes the part that blows me away. This wealthy Roman soldier bows to Peter’s feet and says, “We’re here to listen to everything you have to say.”

I wonder how long Peter stood in awe of the moment. I wonder how long it took him to wipe the tears from his eyes because the Spirit of Christ just had a moment in his presence. Nevertheless, his response is earth shaking, humbling, and compassionate. Peter’s response is probably my favorite sentence in the Holy Bible. He said, “I am learning that God doesn’t show partiality to one group of people over another.”

I have to wonder; is this a conversion story of a gentile, or is this a conversion story of an apostle? Was this story about Cornelius coming to Christ or Peter making the discovery of how far and wide the love of Christ extends? I think this is a conversion story of Christ follower coming to know his master more than ever before. This is story about a Christ follower that literally walked in the same footsteps as the Lord, a man that served the Lord first hand, a man that attempted to walk on water for the Lord, a man that failed at the Lord’s presence, a man that touched the Lord’s human body with his hands, and here he comes to know something about his master that he never knew. He discovers that the Lord’s grace is far greater than he thought it was. This is a message for us to be reminded that God’s grace is far greater than we can ever imagine.  

On Easter we celebrate the life, mission, and purpose of God in each one of us. We celebrate the death and sacrifice our God made because God so loved the world. And, we celebrate the empty tomb that represents Christ alive in us today. It is because of this event we have grace greater than any sin. 

We celebrate this every year. We celebrate our personal journeys and the idea that we are saved by grace alone. But, I have to ask this question. Do you ever celebrate the size of this event? Do you ever celebrate how far, wide, and deep this grace extends? Do you ever celebrate how this grace changes as the world changes? You probably do not because it is hard for us to imagine how big and vibrant it is.

God’s grace is dynamic. It is ever changing as the world changes. God’s grace evolves as the world evolves. God’s grace grows as the world grows. God’s grace loves even as the world continues to hate more and more. Our minds want to convince us that God’s grace is exclusive to certain people because other people outside of our circles are different than we are. We like to think, “Surely we are living the right way, the only way, and why would God’s grace extend to the people that we don’t want it to? I mean come on, they are different, they don’t live like I do.” But, you see, Jesus removed all of the barriers between God and humanity. Jesus made God’s love available and extendable to the whole world. When I say God’s love I am not just talking about the kind of love that humans share. At greatest our love is weak. God’s love is unconditional, unshakable, and it does not show partiality to one group of people over another.


As our world changes, God’s grace changes so that God can love us more and extend grace to more of God’s creation. Isn’t that exciting? On Easter we celebrate the day that it began. The next day, and everyday thereafter we can celebrate the day that it continues.    
               

1 comment:

  1. Extremely pertinent right now. I've hit the age I daily reflect on what I wish I would have done differently.

    ReplyDelete