Monday, September 25, 2017

Watch God Work

God surprises us in the most unlikely ways, at the most unexpected times. I want to share with you something that God is showing me and using to revive my faith. Even though I am a minister I still need God to revive my faith with spiritual experiences. I believe God shows us little incidents to revive our faith so that we can carry on serving God with zeal and fervor. It is also a reminder that God uses God’s people to make a difference in the world.

Earlier this year, during the summer, a couple of kids arrived at my house on bicycles. They lived in the neighborhood and they informed me that they would be attending VBS at my church. I live in the manse across the street from the church so they were certain of where I lived. They heard that I was in to riding bicycles so they were eager to meet me. We talked bikes for a little while and I told them I was excited for them to join us at VBS. I couldn’t help but notice the bikes they were riding. They were the typical do-what-you-can-to-make-go, rusty, old, department store BMX bikes. You know the type: bald tires, rusty chain, danger trap.. When they left, one of the kids wheelied about a hundred yards down the hill in front of my house. My first thought was, “This kid needs a new bike.” Then I remembered that Maury County (where I live) has a new NICA mountain bike team and they are searching for riders.

When VBS rolled around I met with these boys about racing mountain bikes. They are brothers; one of them is 12 and the other is 13. The idea of bicycle racing for kids this age is astounding. They agreed that they would love to give it a shot. The next obstacle would be finding them bikes. I discovered that their parents would not be able to help with the funding due to low income. The older brother could ride one of my old bikes. I have an older trail/enduro bike that would do the trick with some adjustments. After I fixed it up it was still a little big for him but it didn’t stop him from riding the heck out of it. I contacted the NICA team coach and explained the situation and he happened to have another entry-level bike for the younger brother.

So, it began. We started to ride, train, team practice, and all of the fun stuff that comes with introducing a teenager to mountain biking…until we hit a bump in the road. On a rainy Tuesday the 13-year-old brother showed up at my house with his mom and dad. All three of them had tears in their eyes. Apparently, he got in trouble and been kicked out of the public school. He was sentenced to alternative school for the rest for the year. I also found out that this would be his third trip to alternative school. Alternative school is the place public schools send kids that get in trouble. I have learned that while kids are in these disciplinary institutes their education and curriculum is not priority. Since my neighbor has been twice he has missed a lot of class edification and he is an eighth grader on a fourth grade level. His parents were against sending him back to alternative school. I attempted to reason with his principal and teachers but there was no question; they wanted to rid of him. 


The next and better alternative would be homeschooling. The parents found a Christian-based homeschool program in Hohenwald TN. Two problems emerged out of this plan. The parents could not afford it and the program requires for at least one parent to have a high school diploma and they could not meet this criterion. There was no thinking or discernment for me. This was a call to ministry for my church and me. The church is going to pay for the homeschooling and I am going to facilitate it. Several of my church members have offered to help me with the facilitation. When I signed the papers and they explained the curriculum they assured me that his mountain biking would suffice for his physical education requirement.

A couple of weeks ago I read a Facebook Post from Clark Butcher, the owner of Victory Bicycle Studio and Pedal Town in Memphis. His post explained that he would be giving away a brand new bicycle to the person that could reply to his post with the best story of why they needed a new bicycle. The person with the most “likes” would win the bike. My first thought was to try to win a mountain bike for my neighbor (the older brother). I posted a brief explanation of his story. I posted it on my phone while he was at Maury County Park, with his teammates, doing hill repeats in the rain. Let me remind you that he was still on my heavy trail bike. I was inspired. Out of the many great and convincing stories replied to that post, my neighbor’s story received the most likes; I won the bike. I did not tell my neighbor about the bike, I wanted to surprise him. The following week I went and picked up the bike from Clark. He explained that he understood that the bike that he was giving was not what I was looking for. It was a road bike and it was a little too big. But, he told me to use it to trade for or purchase the bike I need. Then, Clark graciously gave me seven full race kits and seven extra race jerseys to give to the boys.



I sometimes work for a bike shop in Memphis. The name of the shop is Bike the Planet. The owner of the shop is Mel Clark. I have been on this shop payroll for nearly four years. I work there about 2 days out of each month. While I was in Memphis picking up said bike, I stop by to share the story with Mel and friends at BTP. Clark Butcher’s act of kindness inspired Mel. He told me to leave him with the bike that I won. In exchange he gave me two new mountain bikes, one for each brother.



I sometimes get nervous about taking on the responsibility of mentoring and coaching these boys. And, I especially get nervous at the idea of homeschooling one of them. But just when I get nervous God shows me something like this and it revives my enthusiasm to serve and give to my friends in need.

Since all of this has happened, the boys have successfully raced in their first NICA race, they have been attending church regularly, their older sister (15-years-old) has decided to start riding with them, and their mom and dad have become involved in church. The kids have set goals to race throughout high school and with hard work, determination, and the will of God they want to ride and race for a college.




We can see God in so many different ways. I see God the most when I have faith in what God can do through myself and other people. It seems that when I place my trust in the unseen, God allows me to see so much. Fear of the unknown controls our actions. Do not let fear keep you from making a difference for someone. Allow God to work through you and be prepared for God to revive your faith and spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment