Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Heavenly Impact

Greeting,

I want to share a story with you about a friend of mine. I have been working on a doctoral degree in ministry for nearly three years now. I travel to Memphis Theological Seminary for classes that take place in the summer and the winter. The classes are two week long intense residencies. When I attend these classes I meet with the same group of classmates. This group is referred to as a cohort. There are seven of us in the cohort. Over the few years we have all become very close. We communicate via phone and Facebook when we are not in class. We share notes and help each other as much as possible. I have been blessed to interact with such brilliant, Spirit-led ministers in my cohort. 

One gentleman out of this group has always stood out to me. His name is Rev. W.T. Mayfield. A large, sharp-dressed, African-American, Methodist preacher, I took notice to W.T. when I first started my D.Min. classes. What caught my attention was his age. When he started his doctoral work he was 75 years old. He was not in the greatest condition physically. He was overweight and could not walk very well. But, he absorbed each professor’s lecture and interacted with the class as efficient as anyone else. W.T. had worked in ministry for over 25 years and prior to that he was a librarian. He was brilliant and when the class called for us to preach for a grade (our concentration is preaching and hermeneutics) he could always bring the Spirit. The focus of his sermons would mostly have something to do with sharing love and not hate. 

Last summer, in a class focused on racial and social justice, we listened to some very uncomfortable lectures. One day in particular we talked about preaching against racism and white supremacy. It was uncomfortable for me particularly because I was the only white person in the class that day. None of the discourse was pointed at me in any way but that did not exempt me from feeling a little awkward. When the class broke for lunch I stayed in the room to eat the meal I brought from home. W.T. stayed in the room and joined me. As we were eating he questioned me in his raspy North Mississippi accent, “Tommy, are you ok?” “W.T., I am good. Why do you ask?” I replied. He said, “Well, with the things we talked about in class today…I felt uncomfortable for you. I hope it didn’t offend you or make you feel bad. I just want you to know…no matter what we say in this class…I am with you.” A man that grew up in North Mississippi, who was in his twenties and thirties during the pinnacle of the Civil Rights Movement knows something about social and racial justice. He knows and has experienced racism and white supremacy. But, he was uncomfortable for me in class that day because he was afraid it might have hurt my feelings. There are some people in this world that will tell you that you should love your neighbor beyond all differences. Then there are people that show you how to do it by setting an example. W.T. Mayfield showed it and he lived it. 

Recently I received an email from Memphis Theological Seminary informing all students that Rev. W.T. Mayfield had passed away and the times of his funeral. Our D.Min. cohort came together to attend his funeral in Holly Springs Mississippi. It was beautiful and so large that it filled the auditorium at Rust College. At the funeral Dr. Chris Davis, Dean of Doctoral Studies at Memphis Theological Seminary, was present. He spoke to all those present with some comforting words but he also announced that W.T. Mayfield would posthumously received his Doctor of Ministry degree at the commencement service, May 2018. 

W.T. made a difference in this world by showing love to people despite their differences and by presenting the Spirit with the way he lived. He taught lessons of love and compassion for neighbors by using his life to set examples. I learned from him to be sensitive of my neighbor’s feelings and communicate love to them whenever I have the opportunity. I feel certain that W.T.’s legacy will continue to make a difference in the world for a long time. 

With that said, Rev. Dr. Mayfield, praise be to God for you and the impact you made in this world. You will be missed.   


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment